How To Stay Safe From The Ticks In El Centro
July 15, 2022 - Ticks
El Centro is a beautiful place to live due to its abundant nature, but it also has its dangers, and one of those dangers is the tick. Ticks in California can carry a number of dangerous diseases, including Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and tularemia. Learn how to identify ticks, many of the diseases they can transmit, how to keep them away, and how to permanently remove them from your property with help from the pros at Got Bugs? Pest control in El Centro.
Is This A Tick?
The first step in tick prevention is being able to identify a tick when you see one. Ticks are small, brown, and oval-shaped. They can be as small as a poppy seed or as large as a grape. They climb onto tall grasses and shrubs to wait for a host to come by, so they may be found anywhere outside.
Ticks vs. bed bugs: It's important to note that ticks are not the same as bed bugs. Bed bugs are tiny insects that live in mattresses and other furniture. They do not carry disease, but they can cause itchy bites. If you think you have bed bugs, please contact a pest control professional for help getting rid of them.
Every Disease That Ticks Can Transmit
Ticks are known to carry and transmit a variety of diseases that are dangerous to humans. While the list of every disease ticks can transmit is extensive, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the diseases transmitted by ticks in the U.S. include:
- Borrelia mayonii
- Borellia miyamoto
- Bourbon virus
- Colorado tick fever
- Heartland virus
- Lyme disease
- Powassan disease
- Rickettsia parkeri rickettsiosis
- Rocky Mountain spotted fever (RMSF)
- STARI (Southern tick-associated rash illness)
- Tickborne relapsing fever (TBRF)
- 364D rickettsiosis
All of these diseases can cause serious health problems, so it's important to take steps to prevent ticks from biting you.
How To Effectively Deter Ticks In El Centro
To avoid contracting any of the dangerous diseases carried by ticks, make sure to keep yourself and your family protected outdoors. When enjoying El Centro's nature, be sure to:
- Use DEET-based repellents. DEET is a chemical in bug sprays for ticks, mosquitoes, and other bugs. The higher the percentage of DEET in a product, the longer it will protect you from bugs. For maximum protection, use an outdoor tick spray with 30% DEET or more.
- Wear long sleeves and pants. Ticks are less likely to bite exposed skin. Wearing long sleeves and pants will help keep them away.
- Stay on trails. Tick populations are highest near the edges of trails. Staying on the trail will help minimize your contact with them.
- Check for ticks after being outdoors. After coming inside, check your clothes and skin for ticks. If you find one, remove it immediately.
If you do happen to find a tick on your skin, there are a few ways to remove it. You can use tweezers, a tick removal tool, or your fingers. If you use your fingers, make sure to use latex gloves or a tissue to avoid contact with the tick's blood.
The Best Way To Permanently Remove Ticks From My Property
There are several ways to deter ticks from inhabiting your property. Here are some of the most effective methods:
- Use natural tick prevention methods such as planting lavender or rosemary around your property. These plants release a scent that ticks do not like.
- Remove tall grass and leaves: Ticks like to hide in tall grass and leaves, so keeping your property well maintained will help reduce their population.
The surest way to keep these dangerous pests away from your property is to contact a tick control professional for assistance. Got Bugs? can help! We are committed to treating you like family with the kindness, respect, and pest control solutions you need and expect. Our El Centro pest control professionals use the latest eco-friendly methods and products to get rid of ticks for good. Call us today!